Sunday, June 13, 1999

la selva, part 2, la souvenir

Ok, so here is the sequel to the jungle story- ready?
well, i have been enjoying myslef, relaxing and going on wonderful hikes in Urubamba, when I decided to accompany my friend back to Cusco (she came to visit me) anyway, being the mother-like person that she is, she decided to check up on all my bug bites, see how they were doing. i have a couple bites that i thought were very infected and so i took, once again, on the advice of a doctor, antibiotics. i really am so fed up with these peruvian doctors. i even went to
the best most modern hospital, actually snuck in, made friendly with a doctor and he helped me out. anyway, i digress. so, yesterday, i was hanging out with my friend and as she was cleaning up my "infected bites" she looks up at me and says, -"Linda i saw something moving." OK, ha ha funny silvia, quit with your stupid humor. But she didnt break out in laughter. at this point, my heart was racing and we both struggled to examine closely what the hell she exactly saw.
mind you, it was a bit difficult because the bite happens to be on my left breast. after a few minutes, lo and behold and oh my fucking god, there we saw a little white head pop out and pop right back in. all right, i am calmer than i expect myself to be, but burst out in fits of
hyperventilation/naseauting-because-i-am-so-disgusted-stupor every 5 minutes or so. we rush to the hospital once again (sneak our way in{love the loose bureacracy here}) and the entire staff is so curious i have the fortune of having 7 or 8 doctors personally tending to me, the highest quality doctors in cusco. however, in the end, they couldnt get the bugger out of my breast and they didn{t have this one plant that forces the larva to come out and breathe.
it kept popping in and out, evading the nimble fingers of the doctor and tweezers each time. so we called our friend who lives in the jungle and she recommended to put tape over the breast and the critter sticks to it in efforts to get oxygen to breathe. we searched restaraunts to ask for a litle bit of this plant(it is like parsley) and we bought some cigarettes (because the smoke
is supposed to make the critter come out for air) and we bought sterile adhesive. and then we went home and after about an hour of using the plant extract and smoke, we restorted to the adhesive. and went to bed, nervous. in bed, i had too much time to reflect what was really happening to me. no big deal, at the same time, i couldn't help feeling so nasty and even violated. luckily, the valium kicked in.
well the next morning, we slowly took off the bandage and THERE IT WAS STUCK TO THE DAMN TAPE! just like our jungle friend said. and so we finished it off by pulling it out with tweezers. and it hurt, not to mention, BIG! AND SO GROSS-white, a bit blonger than 1cm, in the shape of a pear and it had black tiny spines in the fatter part of the body that hurt me when we pulled it out. Did i forget to mention that i also had one on my LEG? so, now, i have 2 big
fat wounds in my body, holes literally over 1 cm deep. i am sending my 2 jungle souvenirs to Itai so if you are interested, call him up to see what was gestating(?) in my poor little violated body.
everything seems OK now, they are not known to be more than one. most likely, they were larvas of a butterfly that bury their eggs in wet clothing and the eggs stick to my body and crawl in through a pore. Or, it was a butterlfy larva that was deposited on a biting insect and that insect got rid of it on me. Lovely. a type of miasis, probably a FURONCUlA(espaƱol). they get to be about 2 cm at largest and i really dont know how they turn into butterflies. crawl out and bloom, most likely. so now that i have all of you squirming in your seats with the heebie-jeebies, i will sign off.
until my next souvenir-spree.
miss you all.

No comments: